LEARNING SPECIALIST (Part-time)
Start Date: Late August 2023
Reports to: School Psychologist
Brief Description: The Learning Specialist works as a part of a team of classroom teachers, administrators, 2 other Learning Specialists, and school psychologist, to aid students in Kindergarten through Third Grade who exhibit mild learning difficulties.
Part-time, 10-month position
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Work with teachers to identify a student’s learning difficulties
● Work with individual and small groups of children using both push in and pull out models
● Keep records on student progress and participate in student report writing and reading
● Generate Individual Learning Plans for specific children based on outside educational evaluations in conjunction with the school psychologist
● Contact with outside tutors and service providers with teachers, as needed
● Attend weekly meetings with school psychologist
● Attend meetings with members of the educational team
● Contact with parents through email/phone/Zoom calls
● Conduct some Professional Development for faculty
Salary range is $61,000-63,000 commensurate with experience.
● Masters degree in related field-required
● Minimum of 3 years experience as a Learning Specialist and/or Reading Specialist
● Certification in Orton-Gillingham or similar reading approach
● Knowledge of Daily 5, Zoophonics, Fundations, Wilson, Fountas & Pinnell or other similar programs, as well as remedial math programs
● Ability to support students with developing executive functioning and self regulation skills
● Previous classroom experience a plus
● Montessori training or interest in learning about the philosophy a plus
● Flexible thinker and problem solver
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School offers a challenging and comprehensive curriculum built on the philosophy of Maria Montessori to children aged two years through eighth grade. Students work and learn in mixed-age classes led by teaching teams of thoughtful and well-trained professionals. The students have exposure to a full range of academic and artistic courses. BHMS also offers an after school program and a summer day camp. The School is housed in a beautiful facility in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn and is ideally located for convenient access to all parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School is an equal opportunity employer seeking candidates who will embrace the tenets of Montessori Education, including the principles of community, educational and professional excellence, social justice, and equity.