WSMS-TEP’s Early Childhood Education Program prepares students for the American Montessori Society (AMS) Early Childhood (ages 2.5 to 6 years) credential.
Our Early Childhood course offers the following options for the academic year. We recommend that students without prior experience working in a Montessori environment consider the Track 2 option which allows sufficient time to practice material presentations in a classroom before entering the Practicum Phase.
Track 1 : 6 Week Accelerated Summer Program
- Academic classes begin in late June and conclude in early August
- All classes meet from 9am-5pm Monday-Friday *
- 2 Practicum Seminars in November and April (Friday 4-8pm, Sat/Sun 9am-5pm, specific dates listed on EC calendar) during the Student Teaching (Practicum) year
- This program can be completed in one or two years
Track 2: Year-round Saturday classes, followed by a 3-week Summer Session
- Academic classes begin in September on Saturdays, 9am – 5pm, approximately twice each month, September through late May
- Academic classes continue mid-July and conclude in early August, 9am – 5pm, Monday through Friday
- 2 Practicum Seminars in November and April (Friday 4-8pm, Sat/Sun 9am – 5pm, specific dates listed on EC calendar) during Student Teaching (Practicum) year.
- This program can be completed in two or three years
*No classes will be held on July 4th
The Academic Phase (300+ hours) consists of non-degree-bearing coursework in Montessori theory and practice. (For course descriptions, please click on the Course Descriptions tab above.)
All classes are held at: West Side Montessori School, 309 West 92nd Street, New York, NY 10025
Student Teaching (Practicum) Phase
In the Student Teaching (Practicum) Phase, students apply the knowledge they have gained from the Academic Phase in a supervised Student Teaching placement. Students are responsible for finding their own placement, though we will offer suggestions of schools that we have found to be successful internship sites. This phase is non-degree-bearing and the intern must work a classroom schedule for a minimum of a half day session, September through June in an approved Montessori school under the supervision of an approved Supervising Teacher. Self-directed Practicums are only for those who have prior experience in a Montessori classroom and have sufficient administrative support. All Self-Directed Practicums must be approved by the Program Director prior to the start of the practicum phase. The Practicum Phase will follow the completion of the Academic Phase or within two years of the last academic course. No portion of the Practicum may precede the Academic Phase.
Concurrent with Student Teaching are two Practicum Seminar Weekends which meet in November and April, Friday from 4-8pm and Saturday/Sunday from 9am – 5pm. Seminar will include additional academic content, practical exams, and supplemental workshop sessions. See the EC calendar for specific dates.